Thursday, August 18, 2011

"And His Bride Has Made Herself Ready."



Happy Thursday!




Last night we watched a movie about Bobby Darin's life. There was a smoothness in his voice hard to describe. The crooners of his time sure could sing a love song! Currently, Sara Groves' song, "Fly" comes to mind. It is a beautiful love song, romantic and sweet- a wedding song. One of my favorites.


I recall the afternoon of my wedding. My highlighted, curly blonde hair was staying put with a lot of hairspray. I can readily remember applying light lavender eye-shadow and cinnamon-rose lipstick from Merle Norman. My knit dress from J.C. Penney's was dressed up by a double strand of pearls and button earrings with gold embossed edges. My shaky hands held tight to a handmade silk bouquet with flowers representing all the people that weren't there. Lily of the Valley for my grandmother Marie, dusty rose carnations for my Hantie, lupine-like purple flowers for my mom, regal yellow-gold roses for my grandmother Marilyn and a wild flower mix for the rest. My tall ivory shoes were hard to walk in, but I was in love with the man I was walking towards.


Preparing for that day, although mostly alone, was one of the most important things I've ever done. There wasn't anything more pressing or prominent in my life. 


This morning, in the chill of the early hours I read Rev. 19:7b, "And his bride has made herself ready." What a reminder that I am a part of another ceremony. This time I want everyone I love to be there! 1 Peter 1:13-16 gives me all the planning advise I need.


What have you learned about getting ready for a wedding?




Warmly,


Alis

No comments:

Post a Comment