Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Her Children Rise Up and Call Her...

September 2003


I am teaching the youngest to read. We have flash cards with "everyday" words on them. He holds the card with the word she written on top. I hear him sounding out the letters, "s,hhh,eh."

I look at him and say, "Sh."

He thinks that I am telling him to be quiet. This time he sounds out the letters in a hushed voice. "S,hhh,eh."

Again I say, "Sh."

Around and around we go and get an unrelenting case of the giggles.

I explain that s-h together makes a sound like shoe.

Next, he realizes that we have a card with her written on the top. He puts these two cards side-by-side and with a toothy grin and childish recognition he says, "Hershey's!"

Older brother is suddenly amazed by the kid in the overalls. He feels like they could be related after all.


September 2004

Youngest is staring at me and says," To tell you the truth, I think you're better than the President's wife!"


2005

Youngest is looking at a movie preview. "That program looks entertaining, but it's probably not appropriate."

Big words from a little guy.


Mothers, are you keeping track of the meaningful phrases and prose spoken to you from a child's heart? This is a gentle reminder.

Have a blessed day,
Alis

No comments:

Post a Comment