Monday, March 21, 2011

The Hymnal

A Blessed Morning To You!


It is with great care that I spread open its yellowed pages and tattered, frayed front and back covers. The musty, parched pieces soothe my soul.
The deep green engraved cover is simply titled, The Hymnal in gold embossed letters.

The inside reveals that the book came from The Evangelical Mission Covenant Church of America. It was printed in 1950.

There is her familiar typed note taped to the inside. A warm greeting, and insight into the history of our family's favorite melodies. A chronicle of numbered songs played at funerals, during illnesses, and on the organ in the front room.

This treasured gift handed over in 2008 and signed by my grandfather was purchased by Ragnhild, in Boston. Rags was my grandmother who went to be with her Savior before I was born. Later, my grandfather went too. He often said that I reminded him of her. And my grandfather's wife, who has always been my mentor, gave the book to me.

"The lyrics and music have brought great comfort and guidance to many," she wrote. And so I hum Day by Day, Ragnhild's favorite, and next, Peace, Perfect Peace, Marie's favorite. I picture the pain that shook my grandfather's voice as he sang at her funeral. I imagine the tranquility in her pious spirit during illness, and I identify with my family's faith.

So much more than a book, I have inherited a treasure that moths cannot destroy. The binding cannot give way, the sealing is sure. The tattered corners will be smoothed in glory and another generation will be added to the ages.

Great is Thy Faithfulness,
Alis

No comments:

Post a Comment