Friday, March 25, 2011

"A Mother's Secret"



Welcome Friends!

This week I was blessed by two expressions of love from my young men. The artist drew a still life of a motionless daffodil, its trumpetlike center protruding and its delicate petals proudly on display. The deep thinker wrote a letter, a loving collection of prose for me to treasure, a promise of his love forever.

Straight away, I am reminded of Proverbs 23:25, "Let your father and mother be glad; let her who bore you rejoice." 


I do rejoice! But it didn't just happen. I have never put so much work, prayer, tears, or energy into anything as much as I have raising these boys. And it's not over yet...

The following writing was authored by a woman who shares her parenting secret with us:


"A Mother's Secret"

When in the morning I washed my children,
I prayed that they might be
cleansed by the Saviour's precious blood.

When I dressed them,
I prayed that they might be
arrayed in the garments of salvation
and in the robe of
God's righteousness.

When I gave them food,
I prayed that they might be
fed with the bread of life.

When I started them on the way to school,
I prayed that their faith might be
as the shining light,
brighter and brighter to the perfect day.

When I put them to sleep,
I prayed that they might be
enfolded in the Saviour's everlasting arms.


What an example of a prayer warrior. Perhaps dear reader, you are in a season of waiting. There is a detachment, or repugnance for what you stand for. I want to encourage you, don't give up. Recall the mother from the old song whose older children recited,

"Somebody, somewhere was praying that night, When Jesus came in and saw the light. It must have been Mama, I've heard her before. As she knelt by her bedside, and her tears touched the floor. Thank you, Mama, for praying for me, If you had not prayed, then where would I be? They called you old-fashioned, but you loved the Lord, And your prayers touched the Master, as your tears touched the floor. She held to the altar and wouldn't give in, Till she knew all her children had been born again. Just an old-fashioned Mama, but she loved the Lord, And her prayers touched the Master, as her tears touched the floor.
One day Jesus called her to that heavenly home, First she bid all her children they never would roam. Now I thank Mama and Daddy for their teachings to me, God provided salvation on Calvary's tree."

Will you join me in praying for our children today? Pray for all ages. They will not always be under the protection of our homes, but they should always be in our prayers. If you don't have children of your own, can I challenge you to pray for children you know?

Warmly,
Alis


Excerpts from Keepers At Home Magazine, Spring 2004, Volume 12

No comments:

Post a Comment