Friday, December 24, 2010

Melancholy Holly


A tender note to my readers from the porch,

It would be amiss to expect that all the supporters of this blog are joyous and content this Christmas Eve.

"Through the years we all will be together, if the fates allow..." How I've wished that we could universally retire that song!

Let's face it, many of us are not together. Fate didn't acknowledge us. The song fibbed. I've been there.

I've had the meltdowns at the market when someone has asked how I'm doing. I've entertained thoughts of cancelling the celebration. I've glossed over while trying to shop in a world full of "happy" people. I've screamed at God and demanded WHY! I know how you're feeling.

And too often changes feel like more loss. However...

If you will have faith the size of a mustard seed, it will get better. The picture of the drawing above is a hand drawn card that I wrote in 2007 to a couple of family members. In the center I taped a mustard seed. I was living in a nightmare. It took my whole being to believe that life would get better. 

If this Christmas Eve finds you suffering I would propose that you remember the mustard seed. One day your weak knees will be strong again, your shattered heart will find hope again, and your upside-down world will turn right side up. It happened to me. I'm living proof.

I'm pained by your current position. But I am confident in this; we are not comforted so that we can be comfortable. We are comforted so that we may become comforters. I believe Spurgeon said that.

Hold on,
Alis

No comments:

Post a Comment