Monday, February 14, 2011

My Titus Two Girl



Good Morning Sweet Readers!

On this Valentine's Day I thought it appropriate to introduce you to my Titus Two Girl. She has spent the last year knitting herself into our family and into our hearts. I am so beholden to be this merry little maiden's "mum." After my mom's dreadful accident I felt like life had handed me a beginning, an end, and nothing in between. But this sweet girl has given my life a "middle." The glorious friendship we share means the world to me.

Let me tell how it started. We were both involved in the launch team of a new church. One night after a meeting, many months ago she asked if we could spend more time together. I raised boys and was not sure what to do with a young girl. I took it to prayer and immediately knew that the empty foyer in our home would make a lovely project for the two of us. We painted, and decorated, and laughed and shared stories.

The responsibility of teaching and training my new maiden gave me energy and creativity. It inspired me to be better. It gave me a reason for gratitude and celebration. It gave me the best gift- love for a daughter who is biblical, not biological. Although some have made the mistake of deeming us mother-daughter. Her mother is very important to me. She has done an amazing job with this gal. I am not a replacement, or substitute, nor would I wish to be. The most important personal relationship a young lady should have is with her mother.

My little maiden, who is college-aged, has given me someone to invest in. She has provided me an opportunity to obey God's word in Titus to teach younger women. She has healed great loss and void in my life. And, she has given me hope.

My first priority is always taking her to Scripture. I do not have a perfect life, nor perfect answers. To fill her mind with the recommendations and suggestions of Alis would be far too cheap. I want the best for her and must always point her to Christ. We share girl-talk and exchange thoughts and ideas all the time. But I have learned how weighty words are. I pray my words are few.

There are so many activities to include a Titus Two girl in. I find fresh ideas daily.

Lastly, please understand that I could not pour myself into this maiden without being flowed into myself. There is a trickle-down effect. I have a couple ladies in my life whose guidance and maturity help develop me. In fact Marie, Lisa, and Diane are like pillars that support my whole structure. They show me who I am and who I want to become. They have already experienced the season I am in. I can trust their leading. And I love them deeply. Many others are praiseworthy.

Dear readers we have the skills and capabilities to change a young lady's life. Will you look closely to the young ladies in your circle or even in your church body and be an encourager to them. Perhaps it's a neighbor, a niece, a student...

I must close with extreme thankfulness for my boys. They have taken to this "adoption" with the love and kindness that I would expect from them. There is no jealousy or resentment, only friendliness and patience.

Someday when I am old I will sit in the garden watching her children play. We will take tea together and talk about these days. The days I was her "Claire" and she waited for her "Charlie."

Love you,
Alis

4 comments:

  1. What a blessing, Alisa! I still have my own little girls I'm teaching every day, but it is a gift to know that even in that I can still encourage and be an example to the older girls we know. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I love you both! What an example you two are for how these "Titus 2" relatationships should REALLY look!
    xoxoxox!!

    ReplyDelete