Thursday, February 3, 2011

When Cupcakes Are On The Menu




Blessings Friends!

I'm savoring the last sticky bite of a chocolate drizzled, orange infused macaroon, an early valentine from a close friend. It paired so nicely with my mug of steaming decaf. I really enjoyed it! I must confess dear readers that I love a little sweet treat in the morning. A piece of berry pie, a plump muffin, a crunchy biscotti...

A home baked treat is best shared isn't it! Last year I made Raspberry-Swirl cupcakes for my sister. Her trip here was cancelled, but I couldn't help snapping photos of the delightful, playful, petite cakes. I wanted so much to bring her the happiness she brings to others. Cupcakes make me happy! They are so celebratory. Flipping through the pages of a cupcake themed day-planner, I am reminded of how the cakes have become haute cuisine!

Raspberry puree creates their dreamy pink color. Best of all, the recipe comes from Eating Well so there's no reason not to make a batch for your sweetie!

Cupcakes:

2c. raspberries plus 12 for garnish
1 Tbs. plus 3/4c. sugar, divided
3/4 c. ww pastry flour (whole wheat)
3/4 c. cake flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4c. canola oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
1/2 c. nonfat buttermilk

Frosting:

8 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
1 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest


Prep:

Preheat oven to 350. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners and coat with cooking spray.
Puree 2 c. raspberries and 1 Tbs. sugar in a blender and strain. Extract all the puree and discard the seeds. Reserve 4 tsp. for the frosting.
Whisk together the flours, baking powder, soda and salt.
In a separate bowl, beat remaining sugar and oil. Next add eggs, vanilla, and 1 tsp. lemon zest.
With mixer on low alternately add dry mixture and buttermilk to wet mixture.
Fill muffin cups half full. Place a scant portion of puree on each cup and then divide the remaining batter over the top of each. Use a toothpick to swirl the puree into the batter.
Bake 22 minutes.
To make the frosting simply beat the cream cheese, sugar and zest along with the reserved puree. This needs to chill for two hours. Spread over cooled cupcakes. Garnish with berries. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.

Have you ever noticed what happens when cupcakes are on the menu? Some folks don't even peel the paper, they just bite down into the middle. Some folks lick the frosting off before they eat the cake. Some very tenderly strip off the liner and carefully inspect the work that went into creating such an elaborate dessert- but I don't know anyone like that!

Smiles all around!

Your Porch Pal Always,
Alis



I would love to hear from you! Let me know if you try these.

No comments:

Post a Comment