Friday, February 25, 2011

Snow in San Francisco?



A Very Good Morning To You!


I had forgotten all about that photograph, so when I opened that book and the page fell open to it, I was caught off guard. The words spilled off my tongue, "Look Marilyn, it's an ice-cream social!" Ouch! But let's back up.

In 1976, I was living with my grandmother when it snowed in San Francisco and the Bay Area. She took a snapshot of me building the tiniest of snowmen. I crowned him with a dark green, sequinned, knit hat of hers. It was more exciting than you could have imagined.

My grandmother observed all noble occasions with food and this holiday was no different. We went to Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor for a sundae. To this day, I still prefer ice-cream in the cold weather. She always celebrated the ordinary. I have never failed to remember that special day.

Speeding forward many years, we would share our last ice-cream social in Idaho. The gift basket I prepared to take to the care center had a card attached with the photograph from the book. It was a vintage photo of a large crowd eating ice-cream. I wrote, "Look Marilyn, it's an ice-cream social!"

She was in her pajamas with the name tag sewn inside, and we ate out of Styrofoam cups. The regular attendants knew her favorite flavors. I started to cry when I left her. "Why the tears, sweetheart?" she asked. "Oh grandma, I'm so sorry you have to go through this!" I told her.

"I'm not sorry," she said. "I've got the best granddaughter in the world."

So typical of her...How I miss her!

I don't know if they'll get snow in San Francisco as forecasted.


Best to you,
Alis

No comments:

Post a Comment