Thursday, January 6, 2011

Bert, Brakes, and Blockades

Happy Thursday!

I am reminded this morning of how much we as people are in great need of benevolence. In our bright, busy, bustling lives it is easy to forget to stop and spread tenderness to those around us who are going through various trials.

A few months back on the "anniversary" of the worst day of my life, I quietly left my volunteer work and headed for a cup of soup alone. Unknown to me a network of friends worked together and by the time I arrived at where I was going, one friend had made a blockade in the road and started singing, "Stop in Name of Love." She had a warm note and small gift for me to let me know she remembered my pain.

That same friend, lined my kitchen counters with groceries the night after the horrible accident. She didn't buy random containers of guesses, she shopped for exactly what I would have purchased if I had gone myself. At a time when I couldn't think, she did my thinking for me.

More recently we were informed that my vehicle needed new brakes. Post- Christmas news like that is monstrous to a one income family. However a friend in the business, along with my husband, did the job on a Sunday night at his home garage.

There may be a whole list of people you know that could use a dose of good will. If your prayer book is empty friend, look around. Take a walk down the street.

If time permits today, I challenge you reader to send a note, make a call, or give a small gift of remembrance.

I'm warming up your seat beside me on the bench, can't wait to have tea with you next time!

All the best,
Alis

Post Script:

Do you need another treat in your hostess drawer? I'd like to introduce you to Nestle's Abuelita Authentic Mexican Style Instant Chocolate Drink Mix. This is bueno! So rich and creamy in milk or hot water. It has a ground cinnamon flavor. Because it's Nestle's, it goes on sale when their other varieties of cocoa are on sale. Abuelita can be found at most regular grocery stores. You'll love it. I buy it at Smith's. Plan on approx. $3.00.

I would love to hear about how you respond to today's challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Great hostess idea, and this year I'm set you sending notes of encouragement and love to each person who has been such a blessing in my life. Life's too short to not let them know NOW.

    ReplyDelete