Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Books On Purpose


A Blessed Morning to You!

Elizabeth Prentiss lived from 1818-1878 and blessed us by leaving an inheritance of literary works. Stepping Heavenward-One Woman's Journey to Godliness is an heirloom rich in truth and wisdom! I am absorbed presently in the first few chapters.
The book is complimented by a smart study of Psalms written by a delightful lady in Vermont. The study is free and can be downloaded in PDF format by visiting The Legacy of Home blogspot.com. Please tell her I sent you.

In the opening we are introduced to young Katy and her family. She has just turned sixteen and her relationship with her mother is touchy. Katy begins with," I meant to get up early..." She swiftly communicates a struggling prayer life by statements like, "I fired up in an instant." Or, "I can't make good prayers." And, "It is hard work to pray!"

Mother's parenting is admirable. She desires her daughter to be lovely, loving, and useful and echoes this in her training. She is calm and sensible. "Other people will see your faults but only your mother will have the courage to speak of them." That reminded me of my own mother. She continues to speak words of love to Katy.

Pairing the book with Psalms is brilliant. Psalm 1:2 brought me right back to the importance of internalizing the Word and Psalm 2:6 affirmed that the Lord knows me in an intimate, personal way.

I am eager to join Katy as she grows in her faith and maturity. I would love to be able to share this book with a daughter. It's timeless and applicable!

Many remarks will follow, I'm sure. There is just too much to observe and report in one sitting. The book spans Katy's life and we are certain to glean lesson upon lesson.

Purposefully,
Alis


No comments:

Post a Comment