Tuesday, January 25, 2011

When Chocolate Is On The Menu

Public Domain Pictures.net/Petr Kratochvil


Salutations!

A good morning to you! What a crisp morning it is. I could see that the windows on my car were thickly coated in frost when I took WonderDog out. I'm so glad that I don't need to go anywhere this morning and therefore will not have to scrape them with that plastic, noisy, hand tool. No, it's an ordinary day. A school, home keeping, work, type of day. I'm preparing a list and asking God to "help me to carry into ordinary life portions of divine truth."

Tuesdays are a reward for surviving Mondays. In that light, a celebration is in order. The following recipe should compensate your family well. In our home it is important to me to provide heart-healthy treats that will taste good, but not be a detriment to our nutrition.

Warm Chocolate Pudding

1 large egg
2 1/4c. nonfat or low fat milk, divided
2/3c. sugar, divided
1/8 tsp. salt
2/3c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Lightly beat egg in a medium bowl. Combine 1 1/2 c. milk, 1/3c. sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/3c. sugar, cocoa and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining 3/4c. milk until blended. Whisk the simmering mixture into the cocoa mixture. Now pour the mixture back into the pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly. Pudding will become thickened and glossy. So pretty! (It only takes about three minutes.)
Remove from heat. Whisk about 1c. of the hot mixture into the beaten egg. Return the egg mixture to the pan and cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until steaming and thickened. DO NOT boil. Whisk in vanilla. Serve warm.

6 yummy servings!

Have you ever noticed what happens when chocolate is on the menu? Young boys grow dark mustaches above their top lip from pushing their chins into deep dishes, grown men ask for seconds and moms, well they just take it all in...

My friends today can be extraordinary! May your portion be just what you needed. Stop by tomorrow, I'll be sipping green tea with lemongrass and waiting to visit with you. Bring a friend.

Warmly,
Alis

Quote taken from Valley of Vision.
Recipe from Eating Well For a Healthy Heart Cookbook.


4 comments:

  1. I love starting the day with the Lord as I sip slowly on my one cup of coffee for the day. Then, I anxiously wait to read your post, it's always encouraging and the recipes...oh so delicious. Thank you for blessing me, especially today, as my heart aches for a special friend who is suffering but I was reminded to take up my cross and follow Him...not always easy...but he's always there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisa, Your blog always makes me hungry! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Roberta for tuning in to listen to this cracked pot! My intentions are to bless and encourage my readers each day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane, you are so special to me! Your blog makes me hungry too!

    ReplyDelete