Tuesday, January 11, 2011

When "Kid-Friendly" is on the Menu



Good Morning Friends! (Including Little Ones!)

Wake up, sleepy heads! It's time to rise and shine and give God the glory!
I was so blessed last night to discover a love note written many years ago to me from my oldest. It was carefully tucked inside the book that I was reading at the time, Apples of Gold. Such a treasure! Here's what it said,


Great Forever

During hard times I hope she'll look at this letter,
when in the seek of better.

My mom is great, my mom is awesome,
her berry-blue eyes, they are orchids in blossom.

She works so hard,
when in grief, I wish for her to daze at this card.

I could never take her for granted, no not never,
not for worse or for better. It would be too difficult,
considering she'll be great
forever!


Oh My Stars! The tears, friends, that wash a mother's cheek when she receives the blessings of admiration from her children.

I wanted to share the recipe with you for Peachy-Berry Breakfast Cobbler.
Torn from an old Raley's Supermarket advertisement, it has warmed our home and children many times over the years! A bowl of oatmeal, or a healthy muffin makes it a meal.

2 (15 oz.) cans juice-packed peaches, drained
1c. frozen raspberries
1/4c. fruit preserves (we like raspberry)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. almond extract (don't skip)
dash nutmeg
1c. low-fat granola with almonds

Combine peaches, raspberries, preserves, cinnamon, almond extract and nutmeg in a square 8" pan, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

Bake at 325 for 20 minutes. Sprinkle granola over the top and stir. Bake for an additional five minutes.

Have you ever noticed what happens when you make a kid-friendly meal? Your children write love notes, and their smiles are like a post-it, stuck to your heart forever.

"What makes you think your children are secure in your love?"
from Apples of Gold. Something for us to think on today.

Praising Him from the porch,
Alis

Thank you God for the children in my family!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! What a beautiful tribute to your godly mothering your son has written! And thanks for this yummy looking recipe! (hmmm...small group some night? hint hint)
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete